Delicious Crispy Cheddar Chicken
Crispy Cheddar Chicken
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 12 oz. Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Sleeves Crushed Ritz, or Townhouse Crackers
- 1/4 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 6 Oz. Softened Cream Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 Cup Grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Tbsp Chicken Seasoning or BBQ Rub
- Preheat your oven or smoker to 375 degrees F
- Let the chicken thighs in the 1 Cup of Buttermilk for 10-15 minutes
- Placed the grated cheese onto a plate, or cutting board. Press the cheese onto the chicken.
- Place the cracker crumbs onto another plate or cutting board. Press the crumbs onto the chicken, until the chicken is completely breaded. If the cheese starts to fall off, just press it back onto the chicken.
- Place the chicken in a 9×13 baking sheet. Bake in the oven or smoker for 15-25 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches at least 165 F.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the sauce. Mix all of the sauce ingredients in a sauce pan. When the sauce reaches a simmer, remove it from the heat.
- Place a spoonful of the sauce onto each piece of fully cooked chicken. Enjoy!
Crispy Cheddar Chicken is so good! My favorite part is that the breading is made from crackers. I like to use either Ritz or Townhouse crackers for this recipe. They are flaky, buttery, and delicious. The added texture and flavor of cheese mixed into the breading is amazing too! A lot of people think that the only kind of chicken you can have on the smoker is un-breaded chicken. It turns out that you can have breaded chicken too! As always, I love to use chicken thighs for this recipe. You can use chicken breast if you want, but chicken thighs are just so much more juicy and tender.
Another amazing ingredient in this recipe, is buttermilk. The first thing that the chicken hits, is a buttermilk bath. After a short soak in the buttermilk, it’s time to press the cheese onto the chicken. This is where things start to get messy, but that’s ok. Messy is delicious. After you have pressed the cheese onto the chicken, press the whole ensemble into the cracker crumbs. When you move the chicken from the pan of cheese, sometimes a little bit of cheese falls off, but all you have to do is put the cheese back on the chicken and press it all back together with some bread crumbs.
After the breading action is complete, it’s on to the smoker. Your pellet grill is going to perfect this dish. Put the chicken in a baking pan, and place the pan in the smoker until the chicken is done cooking. Some of the cracker crumbs will begin to crisp up, and the cheese will melt into the breading. The flavors and textures are amazing! Spread some of the delicious, creamy sauce on top, and enjoy! When we were in a hurry to get out of the house to run an errand, we threw a few onto hamburger buns, and they made amazing sandwiches. If you don’t want to make a sandwich, just put the chicken on a plate, and enjoy!