Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes With a Brown Sugar and Pecan Crumble
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Yams
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 3 Tbsp Chopped or Crushed Pecans
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Melted Butter
- 1 Pinch Kosher Salt
- 1/3 Cup Chopped or Crushed Pecans
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Poke a few holes in each sweet potato with a fork. Lightly coat each sweet potato with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Line a cookie sheet with foil for easier cleanup. Place the sweet potatoes on the lined cookie sheet, and bake for 45-50 mins.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, combine all of the ingredients for the crumble in a small mixing bowl. Make sure they ingredients are mixed together really well. I usually have to end up using my hands, as the mixture is a bit dry at first.
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked through, remove them from the heat, and let them cool for 5-10 minutes. Cut each sweet potato in half length-wise. Using a spoon, very carefully remove the filling from the sweet potato skins and put them in a large mixing bowl. Be very careful as the skins can tear easily. Reduce the heat in the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the filling, except for the pecans, together in the large mixing bowl with the sweet potato filling. Make sure the sweet potato filling is smooth. Mix in the pecans.
- Using a spoon, evenly distribute the filling back into the sweet potato skins. Top each sweet potato with a generous amount of the crumble. Place the sweet potatoes in the oven and bake for an addition 20-25 minutes. When the crumble starts to get crunchy remove the sweet potatoes from the oven. If you are a fan of marshmallows, after they are done baking, top them with a few mini marshmallows. Turn your oven to broil and put them back in until the marshmallows are slightly golden brown. Remove, and enjoy!
Prepare yourself for this one! This is one of my favorite recipes. I consider myself to be one of the biggest twice baked potato fans in the entire world. One of my favorite recipes in the world is my Smoke Twice Baked Potatoes. You can get that recipe HERE. I also consider myself one of the biggest fans of sweet potatoes and yams. A few months back I thought to myself, why not make twice baked sweet potatoes? I didn’t know exactly how it was going to work, but then I realized I could just basically make the filling be similar to sweet potato casserole. So, that’s what I did.
One of my favorite parts of sweet potato casserole is the crumble on top. The delicious and slightly crunchy crumble of brown sugar and deliciousness is the way to go! I am also a huge fan of pecans, so I just had to throw those in as well.
Most people don’t usually eat the skin of sweet potatoes, but the way this recipe is made, the skin is actually really, really delicious!
This is a recipe that will be making the rounds at our Thanksgiving table, as well as many other different occasions. It is a side that is great all year round! Enjoy! Just look at that crumble!!