Ultimate Macaroni and Cheese
Ultimate Macaroni and Cheese
- 16 Oz Macaroni Noodles
- 1 Stick Butter
- 6 Tbsp Flour
- 2 Tbsp Ground Mustard Powder
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 4 Cups Milk
- 6 Cups Shredded Cheese
- 1 Diced Jalapeno (Seeds Removed)
- 1/2 Lb Bacon
- 1/4 Cup Cream Cheese
- 1 Cup Italian Bread Crumbs
- Preheat oven or smoker to 250 degrees F. Prepare macaroni noodles according to package instructions. Drain and rinse noodles, and set aside. Cook bacon to desired doneness. Set aside to cool. In large pot, melt stick of butter. While the butter is melting, combine flour, ground mustard powder, black pepper, paprika, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder in a bowl.
- Once the butter is melted, add the bowl of spices and mix well with a wire whisk. Cook for 1-2 minutes to create a sort of roux. Slowly add milk to the roux. As you add the milk, continue to gently whisk. Stirring constantly, cook the mixture for about 3 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken. Stir the cheese and cream cheese in until they are melted and the mixture is smooth. Add the cooked macaroni noodles to the mixture and stir until combined. Add the diced jalapeno. Cut the bacon up into small chunks and stir into the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into 9×13 baking dish. Evenly layer the bread crumbs on top of the mixture. It probably won’t take the full cup of bread crumbs. Just sprinkle an even layer on top. Bake the mixture in the oven or smoker for 40-45 minutes. If you want the bread crumbs to crunch up a bit, turn the heat up to 350 for about the last 10-15 minutes. Enjoy!
This is a recipe to pay attention to if you love macaroni and cheese. Mac and cheese is one of the most delicious and popular sides for BBQ. Growing up, I wasn’t a huge mac and cheese fan, but I have to learned to love it. When made right, it is creamy, cheesy, and delicious. I threw a few of my favorite ingredients in this recipe with a lot of ingredients that are really popular.
One of my favorite parts of this recipe is the amount of cheese. The star of the show is, and always should be the cheese. You can pretty much put any cheese that you want in this recipe. I like to use colby jack, because that’s the most popular cheese in my house. Other kinds of cheeses I recommend are pepper jack, cheddar, and mozzarella.
Some people might see that there is Jalapeno in this recipe and get scared away. Please don’t run away! The amount of Jalapeno in this recipe is the perfect amount to get the flavor without the spice! If you are a spice lover, you can add an extra Jalapeno for a bit more fun. I’m telling you, the flavor that a Jalapeno pepper adds to this recipe is absolutely delicious.
I really hope you enjoy this combination of spices, and other ingredients! Enjoy!