Smoked Pinwheel Meatloaf
Smoked Pinwheel Meatloaf
- 2 Lbs Ground Beef
- 1 Tbsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Tbsp Dehydrated Onion
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Mustard Powder
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Italian Bread Crumbs
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Your Favorite BBQ Sauce
- Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix all ingredients besides the shredded cheese by hand or with a wooden spoon until evenly incorporated. At this point, if you would like to have a normal meatloaf, you can just shape the mixture into whatever shape you want. It is usually easiest to use a bread loaf pan. If you want to go pinwheel style, keep following along.
- Place a large sheet of plastic wrap on the counter. I usually use two pieces overlapping to create one larger sheet. Flatten the meat mixture onto the plastic wrap in a square or rectangle about 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Evenly spread the shredded cheese on top of the meat mixture. Use the plastic wrap like a sushi roll to roll the meat mixture wrapping it around itself until it is a cylinder shape. Carefully seal both edges, and the end of the roll to rest of the roll. Make sure it is completely sealed off so the cheese can’t leak out when it is cooking.
- Tightly wrap the roll in the plastic wrap. Place in the freezer while your oven or smoker preheats. Preheat the oven or smoker to 250 degrees F. When the smoker is preheated, remove the meatloaf from the plastic wrap and place on the grate of the smoker. Cook at 250 degrees F until it reaches an internal temperature of 155 degrees F.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven or smoker, and use a basting brush to brush BBQ sauce on the outside of the meatloaf. Return the meatloaf to the oven or smoker, and let it cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F. Remove the meatloaf from the heat and let it rest on a baking sheet or plate for 10 mins. Slice and enjoy.
For some reason, in all the movies, meatloaf is portrayed as the enemy of the food world. Everybody in movies hates meatloaf! Hopefully this is the recipe to change everyone’s mind. I have always loved meatloaf, so I just couldn’t wait to come up with my own recipe.
The secret to the perfect meatloaf is seasoning. Most meatloaf that people hate, is completely under seasoned and dry. The right amount of seasonings, and the right amount of bread crumbs will make meatloaf shine. This is one of my favorite seasoning combos!
A lot of people struggle with their meatloaf falling apart before or during the cooking process. This recipe should get you where you need to be without anything falling apart. For a fun presentation, the pinwheel concept allows you to stuff the meatloaf in a really unique way. I usually just keep it simple with cheese. You want the seasonings in the meatloaf to make it stand out, not just the filling.
This is a recipe that works great in the oven or the smoker. Cooking it at a lower temperature helps the meat to retain it’s moisture, and not break down and fall apart. I really hope you enjoy! This is a family favorite.