Amazing Brisket Style Tri Tip (The Incredible Trisket)
Brisket Style Tri-Tip
- 1 Trimmed Tri Tip Roast
- 3-4 Tbsp Your Favorite Beef Rub
- Foil or Butcher Paper
- Apply the dry rub liberally to the entire roast. Depending on the size of the roast, you will need more, or less than 3-4 Tbsp. Just make sure there is an even layer over all sides of the roast. Preheat your smoker to 225-250 degrees F.
- Place the roast directly on the grate. Let smoke until the meat has reached an internal temperature of 160-165 degrees. Remove the roast from the heat, and wrap tightly with butcher paper or foil. Return the roast to the smoker, and let smoke until it reaches an internal temperature of 200-203 degrees.
- Remove the roast from the smoker, and let rest in the foil or butcher paper for 30-40 minutes. Remove from the foil or butcher paper. Slice the roast into thin slices, against the grain. Enjoy!
- Notes: Woods like cherry, oak, hickory, and pecan go great with beef. I prefer to use a combination of oak, and cherry, or pecan and cherry for this recipe.
Brisket is amazing. It is basically the king of American BBQ. Unfortunately, if you live outside of Texas, brisket is very expensive. Have no fear though, if you are on a BBQ budget. There is a solution. Tri Tip. Tri tip is 100% my favorite cut of beef, and my favorite thing to smoke. The advantage? It’s smaller than brisket, so it ends up being much cheaper. As soon as I prepared it “brisket style”, my love for tri tip grew even more.
The traditional preparation for tri tip, is to take it up to medium rare, slice, and enjoy. The difference for brisket style tri tip, is the finish temperature. Don’t stop at medium. Take it all the way up to 203 degrees F. Just like a brisket. It may seem crazy, but I promise, it’s tender, juicy, and delicious! Try it out, and you won’t regret it.